The Kyle Report

The Kyle Report

Sunday, November 29, 2015

First impressions redux (the uglies are baaack!!)

Back in April I wrote about how first impressions can shape someone’s entire view of a community and that, because I-35 is the main entrance to and from Kyle, what motorists see along I-35 on their initial drive-through could determine what they thought of the entire city.

I raised this point because there was an item on the City Council agenda back then to rezone a parcel of land along the west side of I-35 between Kohler’s Crossing and Kyle Parkway, a prime piece of real-estate, the perfect spot for a nice hotel or a trendy mix-used development with more independent small business shopping outlets topped by two or more floors of an office building and perhaps even something like an Alamo Drafthouse. Realistically, all that wouldn’t fit in the parcel, but the nice four-to-five story boutique hotel would. The developers of the property don’t intend to put in a mixed-use development, an entertainment area, a handsomely landscaped office building or even a hotel, however. No, they want to use it to locate a self-storage facility.

The item was tabled when it came up in April, but it’s back on Tuesday’s City Council agenda. I hope there is enough leadership on the council — enough council members with vision — to see that this doesn’t happen, that our city is better than this, that it should look better than this, that it should offer first impressions that are, let’s say more impressionable, than self-storage units.

Back then I wrote, "Here’s a recommendation for the city: Form an I-35 Corridor Task Force comprised of business leaders, property owners, and homeowners and give them six months to develop a vision and provide recommendations in order to guide future policy and public investment along the I-35 corridor. The study should examine future possible land development scenarios and their potential impact to the transportation network." I believe such a study was important to our future then and I believe it today, as well.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed the council will do the right thing or perhaps even the application will be withdrawn before it comes up for a vote. Watch this space.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think that is going to happen Pete - even though zoning is entirely discretionary on the part of the Council and Planning and Zoning. And it is entirely legal for them to deny this zoning. They just lack "vision." Oh - and a backbone. But - the lack of sales tax on this property will be born by the homeowners of Kyle in the future. As usual....
    Lila Knight

    ReplyDelete