The Kyle Report

The Kyle Report

Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Ellison attributes victory to block walking

Dex Ellison, the chairman of the city’s Planning & Zoning Commission who last night was elected to complete a two-year term as the District 1 representative on the Kyle City Council, said today he won because of hard work and "just getting out there and talking to people."

"I know a lot of people were concerned because I didn’t have the social media presence, I didn’t have very many signs out there and I know those are the visible things everyone can see," Ellison said in a telephone interview. "Not only am I happy that I won, of course, and that was just getting out in the neighborhoods, talking to people. I think that really resonated with folks to meet them on the front steps. I had many people surprised I was the actual candidate — they thought I was just somebody out there supporting the candidate. And I think that made a huge difference."

Ellison defeated Marco Pizana for the seat that became available when incumbent Travis Mitchell resigned to successfully run for mayor.

"I didn’t spend a boatload of money for this seat," Ellison continued. "It was just getting out there and talking to people and I think people want to vote for people they relate to and people they feel like they can have a conversation with. I had hundreds of conversations and I think that’s what ultimately led me to that victory."

Ellison, who won 56.3 percent of the 1,520 votes cast in the District 1 race, said many of the concerns he heard during his block walking will shape his policy-making decisions on the council.

"I really want to get the word out about what’s happening at City Hall," he said. "I can’t tell you how many times in those hundreds of conversations I had where I heard people say they just don’t feel informed. They don’t know what’s going on, whether it’s good or bad. We’ve made a lot of progress in the past couple of years, but I think there’s more we can do. We need to bring City Hall out into the communities and I want to start looking at those options."

He also said he wants to bring the knowledge he has gained while serving as a Planning & Zoning commissioner to the council dais.

Many of the other candidates running in last night’s elections posted their reactions on various social media sites.

"First and foremost I want to say thank you to my wife, my family and my friends for being there each step of the way," Pizana posted on Facebook. "Next, I want to congratulate our new elected City Council members. It was a great race. My journey is not over yet. I will continue being that voice that my community needs."

"I cannot thank you all enough," said victorious District 4 candidate Alex Villalobos, one of only two candidates in a contested race to receive more votes on election day than in early voting. "My family for your unconditional support. My friends for the positive encouragement. My campaign team for your tireless energy, believing in me, preparing me, walking with me and for keeping the campaign focused. To the City of Kyle who have spoken with your vote!

"I am honored to be your council member," Villalobos continued in a Facebook entry. "This is only the beginning of our relationship and I am very excited to enrich and create strong partnerships and a legacy of community we can all be proud of! Together we will form a more responsive, accessible and engaged city government."

Villalobos won 56.37 percent of the 761 votes cast in the single-member District 4 race to succeed outgoing council member David Wilson. The 215 votes cast for Villalobos on election day was one more than he received during early voting. Mayoral candidate Nicole Romero-Piche was the only other candidate to receive more votes (103) on election day than she did during early voting (76). Still, she finished fourth in that four-person race won by Mitchell.

"Congratulations Alex on a good campaign," Tim McHutchion, Villalobos’ opponent, said today in a Facebook posting. "I hope you do well as a new council member. I want to thank all my supporters during this campaign. It was quite a ride. Thank you everyone again from the bottom of my heart, I will continue to be strong in our community and I will continue to advocate for small business and continue to strive for the betterment of our city."

Tracy Scheel, who was unopposed in an election to succeed Becky Selbera as the District 2 council representative, posted this on Facebook: "Congratulations to Travis Mitchell, Dex Ellison and Alex Villalobos. I look forward to working with all of you on the Kyle City Council."

This election marked the first one in Kyle in this century that resulted in four persons assuming new positions on the council. In 2010, however, there was an identical council shakeup, but it didn’t happen in one election. Lucy Johnson was elected mayor in a special February election that year to succeed Mike Gonzalez, who resigned to run for county commissioner. In that same special February election, Jaime Sanchez, who placed third in this year’s mayoral election, was elected to replace Johnson as the District 5 council member. In the regular May elections of 2010, Diane Hervol won her first council contest to represent District 1, a seat she held until she was defeated last year by Mitchell; and Brad Pickett ran unopposed to succeed David Salazar in District 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment