The Kyle Report

The Kyle Report

Saturday, July 11, 2015

Concern about animal control procedures, ordinances

I received this today from a Rebecca Martin that I thought was worth sharing. This on top of the recent story of the pit bull attacks here. Does anyone else have concerns about animal control in Kyle? If so, feel free to pass them along, at the very least on the comments section at the end of this report. Ms. Martin says of the city’s animal control: "I've called them many times in regards to my neighbors dogs. They were outside all day without water all summer (last year).

"Sometimes an officer would show up, usually a couple hours after I had called, and literally do nothing. She would walk to their door, knock, then leave. The dogs are kept in a side yard of the families duplex. It is a low, chain-link fence. She could have peaked in at the dogs at the very least. After many calls, a few regarding the constant barking, I stopped trying.

"Then a couple of months ago I had to call again. They have three large dogs. All are a bit aggressive. One dog actually bit my husband, no real injury, in the first week we lived in this house. Anyway- the biggest dog had escaped, which has happened many times before. He was dominating my yard and growling if I opened our door.

"After two hours my husband came home from work to help. He got here and told me that the animal control truck was just sitting at the police station when he drove past. I was livid. I explained that an aggressive (dog) was loose in my yard. We have a dog and a baby. How are we supposed to safely leave our home?

"My husband finally had to call the police before anything was really done. By that time the owner had returned and taken her dog inside. This dog wears no tags, is aggressive and running loose on a semi-regular basis.

"What is the job of animal control, if not to control loose, aggressive domestic animals? What if I hadn't seen the dog, walked outside, and gotten attacked? All (the) while pushing my son in his stroller and holding my small, female dog by a leash?

"I seem to be one of the only people in my neighborhood that leashes and picks up their dogs poop. Why? It's a city ordinance? Why should I have to step in a strange dogs poop, in my yard, when I observe and follow the city ordinances.

"The police told my husband to record the activity next door! Excessive barking, no water for long periods of time in the summer? Excuse me — but WTF? Why do we have ordinances that can’t lawfully be enforced? Why are we told to call the police and animal control if we suspect neglect or abuse? Why should I have to do THEIR job?

Things have been much better as of late. I think the neighbors got spooked because animal control showed up AFTER the police called."

Just curious. Any similar horror stories out there?

No comments:

Post a Comment