The Kyle Report

The Kyle Report

Sunday, December 13, 2015

Mitchell says he plans to run against Hervol

(Updated Monday to include reaction statements from Mayor Todd Webster, the city staff and Travis Mitchell)
City council candidate Travis Mitchell confirmed today what many observers expected would transpire from the moment he announced his candidacy: He hopes to unseat Place 1 council member Diane Hervol in May’s municipal elections.

Although he admitted he sided more with Hervol on major issues, most notably property tax relief, than his other potential opponent, council member Shane Arabie, Mitchell apparently believes Hervol is more vulnerable because she might not have a campaign infrastructure in place or one ready in time for the primaries.

"She didn’t have an opponent the last time she ran," Mitchell told, by my unofficial count, 19 persons, excluding the candidate and yours truly, who attended a meet-and-greet session with the candidate at a local coffee house. "She hasn’t had to run in a contested race in six years."

He also said the decision to go up against Hervol was "almost a personal one," although he declined to elaborate.

Mitchell said had he been on the council he would have fought to keep the tax rate below 50 cents per $100 valuation. The current rate is $.5848. Hervol was one of only two council members (the other bing Daphne Tenorio) who fought in vain to keep the rate below 50 cents.

He also said had he been on the council he would have opposed the extra money given at the last moment to the Kyle Police Department. He criticized the city for purchasing new vehicles for police officers and then retrofitting them with the necessary equipment, saying the city could save a lot of money buying police cars being discarded by other municipalities.

Mitchell went on to say he would have also opposed issuing the general obligations to pay for all the road projects at the same time. He predicted only four of the five road bond projects will be completed, although he didn’t say which one would not be finished nor did he elaborate on the legal ramifications of only completing four of the five projects.

(Updated material begins here)
Stressing that he was only speaking for himself and not necessarily on behalf of the City Council, Mayor Todd Webster, a major proponent on the road bond construction and issuing all the bonds simultaneously, said:

"The thought of this happening has crossed my mind and I think it is not unreasonable for Mr. Mitchell to have such a concern.  Time is the major factor impacting the budget of all five of the road projects.  The longer it takes for each of the roads to be built, the greater the likelihood that we would be forced to make additional decisions to reduce the scopes of the bond-funded projects.  That is why the City Council made the decision to expedite all five road projects, proceeding simultaneously on them to the extent possible.  We also down-scoped all five of the roads to bring costs down and to more closely align with available bond proceeds because a significant amount of time had elapsed prior to the initiation of engineering and right of way acquisition.  Those decisions were made more than a year ago. 

"Please know that the city staff and our contracted engineers are moving as quickly as they can because they understand the impact that delays may have on the overall costs of each of the roads," the mayor said. "With that said, three of the five roads -- Market Place, Goforth and Bunton -- are progressing more quickly.  I am more confident that these three roads will proceed as planned than I am of the other two - Burleson and Lehman.  Of the two, I believe Burleson is more likely to stay on track and within budget.  As of right now, Lehman is proceeding as planned, but any additional delays related to right-of-way acquisition and increased construction costs on any of the five roads may possibly require additional steps to reduce costs and my opinion is that it is more likely that
Lehman Road would take the brunt of any additional reductions.  If additional reductions become necessary, the City Council will have to decide whether to spend additional funds on these projects, reduce the scope of all or some of them or to significantly reduce the scope of one of the roads, leaving the other four to proceed as currently planned.

"As for selling all of the bonds at once," Webster added, "I think our decision to sell the bonds this summer was as good of decision as we could make based on the information that we had available at the time.  Accessing the bond market involves good timing as weeks, months and years can have a significant impact, positively or negatively, on interest rates.  We did get an excellent rate that was better than what was originally anticipated when the bond election was held.  However,
it is not inconceivable that economic conditions could exist in the future that may have allowed us to have acquired an even better rate.  The opposite could happen too and we would have missed out on the excellent interest rate that we did obtain.  Regardless, I think that it is reasonable to question a decision like this because of the possibility that waiting to sell bonds could result in savings even if there is some risk in doing so.

"While it seems a little early to be responding to campaign discussion topics," the mayor concluded, "I am encouraged by the comments as they are exactly the kind of things that I would expect serious candidates to be thinking about.  It bodes well for having an issue oriented campaign this time around."
A spokesperson for the city said "We have no plans to remove any of the roads from the bond project
and are proceeding as quickly as possible to get them all under construction and completed. Selling all the bonds when we did allowed us to take advantage of low interest rates, which combined with our excellent credit rating, will actually save our tax payers money over the term of the bonds."
(Resuming original post)
Mitchell was somewhat vague on an actual platform, talking about Hedgehog concepts (although when he gave examples from other cities he cited their identities, reputations and branding rather than their focus areas) and what he claims was Kyle’s lack of a Mission Statement. He did say he was a major advocate of downtown revitalization, although again he was short on specifics as well as how such a program would affect downtown homeowners.

Of the two recognized forms of growth, Mitchell favors the orderly but dumb approach over the chaotic but smart one, i.e., the former being the growth model Kyle as well as most other municipalities follow.

Mitchell began his informal session asking attendees what they felt were the major issues facing the city. The top concern, voiced immediately by those in attendance, were the property tax rates, followed in order by utility rates and road conditions.

(Update)
Mitchell issued a statement Monday in connection with statements he made at Sunday's meeting:

"When I said my decision to run for District 1 was "personal," that had nothing to do with Councilmember Hervol, which I tried to make clear." Mitchell said. "I meant personal to me, because I am very committed to presenting the community with a vision for Kyle, and not about with whom I agree or disagree. That's a fine line, I understand, but I had no intention to even discuss my opponent. I was pressed by a few members at the meeting. Next time I will stand more resolute in my commitment to keep it about the issues.

"My comments about the police department were meant to be general, and not specific," he added. "I used them as an example of a discussion I would have engaged in had I been on the dais deciding last year's budget. It would have been a broad discussion and certainly would not have been about singling out any one department. We have to keep our tax rate down, as I'm sure most of our police force would agree. Our M&O spending has risen significantly this year and, if it was in tandem with a reduced tax rate, that would probably be fine. But as it is our taxes are at a 20-year high, so my point was that, as I run for council, I will look at everything through the lens of getting the rate reduced."

8 comments:

  1. What? He wants to lower our tax rate by running against one of the people who LOWERED the tax rate rather than one of those who voted to RAISE our tax rate. It doesn't make much sense. Sounds like a politician.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Diane is the one of only 2 who opposed tax increases
      ive only seem him at one meeting, needs to research the past stance taken by ALL the council members another new guy on the block who knows it all

      Delete
    2. Hi John,

      Thanks for your comment. I wish you had been at the meet-and-greet to which this article refers. I would like to meet you and hopefully help fill out your opinion of me. Surely you didn't decide how you felt based on this article.

      In fact, I would love to sit down with you for coffee to discuss any concerns you have. Judging me as a know-it-all and new guy on the block is, to my ear, very difficult to stomach, because I don't know you and don't know how much you know about me. Perhaps if you got to know me and we could discuss the issues together, I could change your mind.

      Either way, I am available at 512-944-0948 or travismitchell7@gmail.com anytime you want to chat. I'll also be at the city council meeting tomorrow, as I have for the last six meetings in a row, from beginning to end.

      Thank you again for your comment,

      Travis Mitchell

      Delete
    3. was not at the meet and greet didnt know about it . usually when you oppose somebody in office its because of differance of opinion or a lack of duty on thier part. we have folks on council who need replacing diane isnt one of them IMO. their are 3 at large places and the seat your residence covers which seat is that ??, of course you can stand for election in any one of those you choose no problem. but my point is id like somebody elected to replace those on the council who dont live up to the standards we require of council members not replace one who does .

      Delete
    4. TRAVIS so you have attended the last 6 meetings until resently i attended EVERY one in the 14 years i have lived here,how long have you lived in kyle ? Whats YOUR point attending council meetings does not qualify you for a seat on it th there are many more factors that go into that .

      Delete
    5. John,

      You are 100% correct that attending council meetings in no way qualifies a person to run for office. I only wrote that because you implied I had only attended one meeting. Perhaps I mis-read you comment.

      There is much more to my campaign than what you can glean from this article. And I have no problem with you supporting my opponent. My decision to run is not primarily about disagreeing with someone, though that's part of it. I am running because I believe that I can bring some things to the table that are currently lacking on council.

      Thanks for participating on this comment thread. I have left my email and phone number above. Like I said, I would be very happy to discuss it with you in person. You can also learn about what I believe by following my website, travismitchell.net. I have posted some articles there and will continue to write in the months leading up to the election. I will also host other events where we can get together and discuss the issues.

      Thanks again,

      Travis Mitchell

      Delete
  2. Mayor Webster endorses Travis Mitchell. Got it. Should have been clear by the lack of transparency.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous
    wish you would stand up and be counted most of us who use this medium use their name its only fair and polite for those who wish to respond .
    its not ethical for any member of council to support or appose any candidate i dont think our mayor does that

    ReplyDelete