The Kyle Report

The Kyle Report

Thursday, April 29, 2021

A challenge to Kyle City Council members: Persuade the “persuadables”

 I’ve received considerable feedback from readers concerning the article I wrote and published just prior to this one. I can’t say for sure, but I’m going to assume the feedback was negative. I don’t know if it really was because all that feedback was sent anonymously and I never open e-mail sent to me anonymously. But I assume it’s negative because I learned 45 years ago, when, for some reason still beyond my comprehension, a graduate student at Texas A&M decided to make me and my supposed influence on the culture of North Central Texas the subject of her master thesis. Her research showed that overwhelming majority of those who write letters to social critics are those who adamantly oppose and reject the opinions of said critics and are inflamed enough to take the time to author this correspondence. Those who agree, just nod their heads and go on about their lives.

So let me give all those letter writers and potential correspondents a tip: Don’t waste your time! I know I’m right about this. I have the facts, the irrefutable logic and the ethical standards to support my point of view. Nobody’s going to change my mind on this subject. At the same time, I am also well aware I’m not going to change the mind of anyone who supports this ordinance. People need to cling to a sense of security and it makes absolutely no difference if it is, like these ordinances. a false sense of security. These ordinances will do absolutely nothing to make today’s Kyle one bit safer; but so many people need to cling to the idea that it will, nothing is going to dissuade them from that belief, that hope, that desperate need.

In my years as a political consultant, I used to instruct my clients running for public office (and there are those on this city council that have heard me tell them this) that the political universe is divided into three groups: those who agree with you, those who don’t and those you’re not sure of. I would plead with my clients not to waste their time trying to convince those who don’t agree with you. They are never going to admit “You know, I’ve been wrong all these years.” It’s never going to happen so don’t waste your time trying. Just look at all those people who are absolutely convinced Donald Trump actually won the 2020 presidential election. No set of facts or no one is going to convince them he didn’t. I also told my clients to occasionally reinforce those who agree with you and make sure they act on those beliefs. But don’t waste all your time just talking to them. To win, you must convince those who, for one reason or another, have not yet formed an opinion. Persuade the “persuadables.”

Which brings me to the challenge I’m about to issue to the members of the Kyle City Council. If you are convinced you are doing the right thing by approving this ordinance, then persuade the “persuadables.” At the very least, have the decency to try. Sit down in the living rooms of those residents living on the streets where those who are in the state’s sex offender database and are desiring to relocate to Kyle will be required to live. Completely explain this ordinance to them and persuade them, or, at the very least, try to persuade them it’s the right thing to do. I don’t even believe the residents of these areas are actually aware of what’s transpiring, the action you’re about to take. Has the city even mailed a postcard to them like they should do if they are planning a zoning change that will affect them? I doubt it. You are passing this ordinance behind their backs. At the very least, show the rest of us you have the courage of your convictions and the common decency any human being should possess to sit down with these people and inform them completely about the action you plan to take. And then, during the discussion period before the vote on the second reading of this ordinance, describe to the rest of us the highlights and the lowlights of the conversations you had with these families. Only in that way will we know you have the leadership qualities we look for in elected officials, that you have the ethical standards that earn you the trust we want to place in our elected officials, that you possess the rock solid belief in your decision-making ability that is needed to correctly and resolutely propel this city into the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment