The Kyle Report

The Kyle Report

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Words for our local politicians to live by

I just this moment finished reading an informative book by E.J. Dionne Jr., and on the next-to-last page of that book I read two sentences that left me dumbstruck. I immediately thought to myself how badly I would like to see these words enlarged, framed and hung in a conspicuous place on the wall of the Kyle Council Chambers at City Hall.

I’m not pointing fingers at any one or any group of council members. This is not meant to be a criticism of anyone in particular or a gotcha exercise. It’s just that I read these two sentences and they resonated. In fact, they could apply to political leaders everywhere. Here they are:

"As an electoral matter, angry pessimism rarely triumphs. As a disposition for governing, it will neither unite nor inspire."

No comments:

Post a Comment